Wednesday, November 22, 2006

When the Body Leads the Heart

And David was dancing before the LORD with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod. So David and all the house of Israel were bringing up the ark of the LORD with shouting and the sound of the trumpet. – 2 Samuel 6:14-15

Two old tzaddiks ate quietly together, not talking at all, but simply meditating on the Holy Word and God’s great goodness. Suddenly, without any warning at all, one of them leaped to his feet and began dancing around the room. He jumped, twirled, stomped, tapped, raised his arms, clapped his hands and clicked his fingers to some inward rhythm unheard by the other.
As he danced with greater and greater vigor, he began to sweat and a broad smile began to form on his lips. His eyes were closed in ecstasy, his head thrown back and his hair disheveled. The other tzaddik watched him with curiosity, but did not join him. He simply continued meditating on the Scripture and enjoyed the show.
Finally, the dancing elder came to a stop and simply stood, rocking back and forth on his heels, with his hands half raised in prayer. When he returned to the table, his companion asked, “What were you doing?”
Heaving a great sigh of relief and satisfaction, the tzaddik responded, “My heart was not right with God. I could not get my emotions to match what my mind knew to be true. Therefore, I made my body dance until my emotions decided to join my mind in worshipping the Lord.”
The other tzaddik simply nodded his head in understanding and they both returned to their Bible study.
I cannot tell you how many times I have come to church and simply gone through the motions because my heart lagged behind my mind. I do what I must because I know it’s the right thing to do, but it’s so much nicer when my emotions decide to cooperate.
I am fortunate enough to attend a church where music, dance, the arts and the freedom to physically express worship are all celebrated. Many times, my congregation has lifted my spirit as I joined them in praising the Lord by singing, clapping, tapping our feet and even occasionally dancing. We shout “Amen!” to truth revealed by the Word. We respond with “Hallelujahs” to blessings demonstrated and prayers answered by the Giver of good gifts.
When you are down, don’t withdraw. Obey even when you don’t feel like it. And as your body goes through the motions you will suddenly discover that its chemistry will shift and you will feel what you have been proclaiming.
Is this hypocrisy? Not at all. It is obedience. It is discipline. You are making your emotions submit to the will of God in praising Him (2 Corinthians 10:5). You are worshipping the Lord with all your heart (volition), soul (emotion), mind (intellect) and strength (body). (Mark 12:30)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home