Sunday, February 18, 2007

Contentment Comes from Prioritization

I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last you have renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me, but lacked the opportunity to show it. I don't say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content--whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:10-13 HCSB

Paul experienced trials that would make our worst days seem easy: beatings, stoning, wrongful imprisonment, shipwrecks, hunger, desertion, misunderstanding – you name it. But he stated, with a confidence that only hard experience can provide, “As long as I’m connected to the power and the strength that Jesus Christ gives, I will be content with whatever circumstances come upon me.”
It was because of this connection to Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit that Paul was able to live out so many of the great truths such as:
“For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.” [1]
“I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ” [2]
Contentment comes when you understand your priorities and everything in your life pales in comparison to knowing Christ Jesus. When this becomes true in your life, the need to have stuff will become so much less important.
If you will live your life relying upon the power that God provides, you will find that your daily circumstances will have less and less control over your state of mind. Contentment will begin to be the norm of your life.
Do need we state the obvious; that materialism is a sin? Searching for contentment through material goods is idolatry no less than if you were to actively worship an idol. Instead of relying upon God’s strength and living our life with the strength He provides, we buy into the lie that if we had a nicer home, car, bike, or toy, we would be happy. We then pursue those things, no matter the cost.[3]
Do you want to be free from the love of money and the grip of materialism? Then commit to giving to God first, and discipline yourself to always asking His permission before purchasing anything.
A secret to contentment is reliance upon Christ for the power to prevail over circumstances. Put Him first and all these other things will take care of themselves.[4]

[1] Philippians 1:21
[2] Philippians 3:8
[3] Hebrews 13:5
[4] Matthew 6:33

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home