Saturday, February 17, 2007

Contentment Comes from Reliance

I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last you have renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me, but lacked the opportunity to show it. I don't say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content--whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:10-13 HCSB

Paul was grateful for the gift that had been sent to help meet his needs. For the moment, he was amply supplied. But his abundance was not the source of his contentment. In fact, he said just the opposite – there is a secret to being content when you’re experiencing plenty just as surely as there is a secret to being content when you’re in want.
Some believe that riches are necessary to happiness. However, contentment does not come from getting everything you want! Consider a spoiled child. A child who is systematically given whatever he wants will get to the point where he will pout not only when he is thwarted, but even when he receives a gift!
You cannot make a spoiled child happy. If you give him a stereo, he’ll want a TV. Give him a TV and he’ll want a computer! It’s as though he has become physically and psychologically incapable of happiness.
The fact of the matter is that the amount of money one has doesn’t seem to have a lot to do with the level of contentment a person experiences. In a survey taken a few years ago, people who made $25,000 were asked how much it would take to achieve “the American Dream” and they said $54,000. Those who made $100,000 answered with the figure $192,000.
In other words, the American Dream usually lies nearly twice the distance away, at least financially. It’s like drinking salt water – the more you drink the thirstier you get.
So if the secret to being content is not in amassing personal wealth or getting everything you want, how can we know contentment? It comes when we realize that the only thing we need is Christ[1]. He is the ultimate source of strength and satisfaction.
Paul here is echoing the teaching of Jesus, when he said, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.[2]
It doesn’t get much clearer, does it? On the one hand, apart from Christ we can find nothing of lasting value in our lives. On the other, we can do everything through Christ who gives us strength. True contentment comes from reliance – on Christ.

[1] Philippians 4:13
[2] John 15:5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home