Friday, February 16, 2007

El G’mulah – God of Vengeance

For the Lord is going to devastate Babylon; He will silence her mighty voice. Their waves roar like abundant waters; the tumult of their voice resounds, for a destroyer is coming against her, against Babylon. Her warriors will be captured, their bows shattered, for the Lord is a God of retribution (El G’mulah); He will certainly repay. I will make her princes and sages drunk, along with her governors, officials, and warriors. Then they will fall asleep forever and never wake up. [This is] the King's declaration; the Lord of Hosts is His name. – Jeremiah 51:55-57 HCSB

Have you ever wondered what the Bible has to say about laughter? I know – the title says this is about vengeance, but believe me it’s related. Go ahead. Do a study on biblical references to God laughing. It’s actually kind of scary.
In Proverbs, He says, “Since I called out and you refused, extended my hand and no one paid attention, since you neglected all my counsel and did not accept my correction, I, in turn, will laugh at your calamity. I will mock when terror strikes you.”[1]
When David, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, wrote of his struggles with slanderers, he said, “Look, they spew from their mouths-sharp words from their lips ‘For who," [they say,] "will hear?" But You laugh at them, Lord; You ridicule all the nations. I will keep watch for You, my strength, because God is my stronghold. My faithful God will come to meet me; God will let me look down on my adversaries. Do not kill them; otherwise, my people will forget. By Your power, make them homeless wanderers and bring them down,Lord, our shield.”[2]
The reason God laughs is because He sees the end of the wicked. They think they’ve got it all figured out: that God either doesn’t exist, or is too emasculated to make a difference. But transcendent Elohim Mishpat[3] just laughs.[4] He mocks their slanderous, blasphemous darts.[5] He knows that no one can mock Him. Whatever a man sows, he will also reap.[6]
This is the basis for His vengeance. It is not that God is petty and vengeful. He does not want anyone to die.[7] That’s why He came to die for us.[8] But when the wicked stubbornly hold to their ways[9] and try to redefine Him so as to excuse their sin, God is rightfully angered.[10]
We, on the other hand, being limited both by our ignorance[11] and sin,[12] should not be characterized by a driving need for retribution. Why? “For we know the One who has said, Vengeance belongs to Me, I will repay, and again, The Lord will judge His people. It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God!”[13] We don’t need to seek vengeance because El Nathan N’Qamah[14] is more than capable of taking care of business;[15] or so the Christ taught.[16]

[1] Proverbs 1:24-26
[2] Psalm 59:7-11
[3] A Hebrew name of God meaning “God of Justice” found in Isaiah 30:18
[4] Psalm 37:13; Proverbs 3:34
[5] Job 41:29
[6] Galatians 6:7
[7] 2 Peter 3:9
[8] Romans 5:8
[9] Proverbs 2:12-15
[10] Romans 1:18-19
[11] Isaiah 55:8-9
[12] Romans 7:18
[13] Hebrews 10:30-31
[14] A Hebrew name of God meaning “God My Avenger” found in Psalm 18:47
[15] 2 Kings 9:7, 26; Proverbs 2:22; Jeremiah 51:36; Romans 12:17-19
[16] Luke 17:7-8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home