Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Man of War

The LORD is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation. This is my God, and I will praise Him, my father's God, and I will exalt Him. The LORD is a warrior; Yahweh is His name. He threw Pharaoh's chariots and his army into the sea; the elite of his officers were drowned in the Red Sea. The floods covered them; they sank to the depths like a stone. LORD, Your right hand is glorious in power. LORD, Your right hand shattered the enemy. You overthrew Your adversaries by Your great majesty. You unleashed Your burning wrath; it consumed them like stubble. - Exodus 15:2-7 HCSB

Twenty five years practicing Jiu-jitsu; four years in the Marines; teaching hand-to-hand combat at a multi-branch base; six years fighting professionally in mixed martial arts; teaching hand-to-hand combat to the Canadian military and to the RCMP. Years of teaching, studying and practicing how to bring harm to my fellow man.
Many Christians cringe when they read my history. Many churches would turn away from my credentials. I’m not sure why…
Abraham lived in Ur of the Chaldees, where he apparently received training in the military arts. He had had 318 trained military men in his household who were able to take on five kings and beat them.[1] He used his combat skills to defend his family. Wasn’t Abraham called the friend of God?[2]
Joshua was a spy[3] and a talented general[4] and was placed in charge at God’s command after Moses died.[5]
David was a man of war. He killed thousands in hand to hand combat. His combat techniques were so effective that he was able to completely route his enemies.[6] His skill and ferocity were legendary.[7] He was called a man after God’s own heart.[8]
His best friend, Jonathan, was able to defend himself while climbing up a cliff that required the use of both his hands and feet and then kill 20 men in a half-acre field at the top of the cliff.[9]
Some may say “That’s all fine and good, but that all Old Testament fire and brimstone stuff. Jesus introduced the age of grace.” Really? You mean the Jesus that said that if a king was to go to war he’d better count the cost so that he can be sure to win?[10] The Jesus whose prophet (John the Baptist) advised Roman soldiers to simply not abuse their power?[11]
Or, do you mean the King of kings and Lord of Lords[12] who will return in power and glory leading legions of angels and saints to conquer the world[13] and sit on the throne in Jerusalem where he will reign with a rod of iron?[14]
My God is love[15] and His love drives Him to be a Man of War. His love compels Him to defend His own. I will not apologize for my past. I am both a warrior and a priest – just like my Master.[16]

[1] Genesis 14:14
[2] 2 Chronicles 20:7, Isaiah 41:8
[3] Numbers 13:8
[4] Joshua 10:28-43
[5] Numbers 27:18-23; Deuteronomy 1:38; 3:28; 31:3,7,23; 34:9
[6] 1 Samuel 19:8
[7] 2 Samuel 17:10
[8] Acts 13:22
[9] 1 Samuel 14:13-14
[10] Luke 14:31
[11] Luke 3:14
[12] 1 Timothy 6:15
[13] Revelation 17:14
[14] Revelation 19:14-16
[15] 1 John 4:7
[16] Psalm 24:10; Isaiah 9:7 cp Hebrews 7:26-27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home