Sunday, June 24, 2007

Unknowable God

For now we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, as I am fully known. Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love. - 1 Corinthians 13:12-13 HCSB

Many Christians will make bold statements about what God would or would not do on any given occasion. They confidently state that a certain hurricane was God’s judgment on a sinful city, or that certain towers fell because of our nation’s sin.
Others muse, “I think a God of love would not condemn anyone to hell.” “I think that a creative God would not have stopped at one human civilization.” Or, “I think that a patient and forgiving God will understand my sin and accept my apology.”
The Master dealt with this when some people came and reported to Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. He responded to them, "Do you think that these Galileans were more sinful than all Galileans because they suffered these things? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well! Or those 18 that the tower in Siloam fell on and killed--do you think they were more sinful than all the people who live in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well!"[1]
Another time, as He was passing by, Jesus saw a man blind from birth. His disciples questioned Him: "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind?"
"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," Jesus answered. "This came about so that God's works might be displayed in him.[2]
We find it hard to believe that God would allow 18 people to die in a tower for no good reason. How can a loving God allow a man to be born blind when there is no sin to be judged? We must humbly realize that we see things indistinctly.
True knowledge is not complete knowledge. I truly know my wife, but I do not understand her completely. I truly know that electricity works, but not completely how. I truly know that Jesus loves me, but I do not completely know why. We can truly know God but yet not completely. If we know something of God, it is because He chooses to reveal it to us. If He chooses not to, we need to patiently wait until we see “face to face.”
“Let the wicked one abandon his way, and the sinful one his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, so He may have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will freely forgive. For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways." This is the Lord's declaration. "For as heaven is higher than earth, so My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.”[3]


[1] Luke 13:1-5 HCSB
[2] John 9:1-3 HCSB
[3] Isaiah 55:8-9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home