Monday, November 26, 2007

The Temple Within


Though an army deploy against me, my heart is not afraid; though war break out against me, still I am confident. I have asked one thing from the LORD; it is what I desire: to dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, gazing on the beauty of the LORD and seeking Him in His temple. For He will conceal me in His shelter in the day of adversity; He will hide me under the cover of His tent; He will set me high on a rock. Then my head will be high above my enemies around me; I will offer sacrifices in His tent with shouts of joy. I will sing and make music to the LORD. - Psalms 27:3-6 HCSB

A soldier was captured by the enemy and taken to a POW camp. He was subjected to physical torture and mental abuse. He was left in solitary confinement for months at a time without the release of human contact, even with his captors.

He began reciting Scriptures he had memorized as a child to himself. Then he tried singing all the songs he had ever learned in church. He developed such a strong internal life that he was able to endure horrible conditions that many others did not survive.

We often fail to develop our internal life. We get so focused on the “in your face” externals that sometimes we forget that the possibility of inner spiritual communion is even possible. Many Christians relegate meditation to something only “eastern” religions do, not realizing that Christianity IS an eastern religion.

The temples of Solomon and Herod are gone. The next temple will be built at the behest of the Antichrist. Obviously, we won’t be worshipping there. So the next viable temple will not be available until the Millennium. How do we then apply today’s passage to our lives? How can we desire to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of our lives, gazing on His beauty and seeking Him in His temple?

Do you not know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God?[1] If you have been adopted into God’s family, you have the privilege of possessing an internal temple where you may go and meet with the sovereign Lord of the Universe at any time of your choosing.

Work hard to develop and build that temple. Memorize scriptures, psalms, hymns and spiritual songs[2] so that they will be available to you when the dark days come. Abstain from sin so that your temple will be a fitting place for the Master.

Then go to that sanctuary daily. Set aside time to quietly meditate on the beauty of the Lord. When you do, it will not matter if an army is deployed against you. They may harm your body, but they cannot prevail against your sanctuary.[3]

[1] 1 Corinthians 6:19
[2] Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16
[3] Matthew 16:18

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home