Saturday, February 27, 2010

Reading 27 – Job’s Final Speech Part II (Job 30:1-31:40)

Summary
The nobodies I helped now taunt me. (30:1-14)
Pach’ad Yitshaq[1] is now my terror. (30:15-31)
My fear of God made me lead a righteous life. (31:1-34)
If I have done wrong then may God curse me! (31:35-40)

Text
The nobodies I helped now taunt me. (30:1-14)
30:1 “But now they mock me, those who are younger than I,
whose fathers I disdained too much
to put with my sheep dogs.
30:2 Moreover, the strength of their hands –
what use was it to me?
Men whose strength had perished;
30:3 gaunt with want and hunger,
they would gnaw the parched land,[2]
in former time desolate and waste.
30:4 By the brush they would gather herbs from the salt marshes,
and the root of the broom tree was their food.
30:5 They were banished from the community –
people shouted at them
like they would shout at thieves –
30:6 so that they had to live
in the dry stream beds,
in the holes of the ground, and among the rocks.
30:7 They brayed like animals among the bushes
and were huddled together under the nettles.
30:8 Sons of senseless and nameless people,
they were driven out of the land with whips.
30:9 “And now I have become their taunt song;
I have become a byword among them.
30:10 They detest me and maintain their distance;
they do not hesitate to spit in my face.
30:11 Because God has untied my tent cord and afflicted me,
people throw off all restraint in my presence.
30:12 On my right the young rabble rise up;
they drive me from place to place,
and build up siege ramps against me.
30:13 They destroy my path;
they succeed in destroying me
without anyone assisting them.
30:14 They come in as through a wide breach;
amid the crash they come rolling in.

Pach’ad Yitshaq[3] is now my terror. (30:15-31)
30:15 Terrors are turned loose on me;
they drive away my honor like the wind,
and like a cloud my deliverance has passed away.
30:16 “And now my soul pours itself out within me;
days of suffering take hold of me.
30:17 Night pierces my bones;
my gnawing pains never cease.
30:18 With great power God grasps my clothing;
he binds me like the collar of my tunic.
30:19 He has flung me into the mud,
and I have come to resemble dust and ashes.
30:20 I cry out to you, but you do not answer me;
I stand up, and you only look at me.
30:21 You have become cruel to me;
with the strength of your hand you attack me.
30:22 You pick me up on the wind and make me ride on it;
you toss me about in the storm.
30:23 I know that you are bringing me to death,
to the meeting place for all the living.
30:24 “Surely one does not stretch out his hand
against a broken man
when he cries for help in his distress.
30:25 Have I not wept for the unfortunate?
Was not my soul grieved for the poor?
30:26 But when I hoped for good, trouble came;
when I expected light, then darkness came.
30:27 My heart is in turmoil unceasingly;
the days of my affliction confront me.
30:28 I go about blackened, but not by the sun;
in the assembly I stand up and cry for help.
30:29 I have become a brother to jackals
and a companion of ostriches.
30:30 My skin has turned dark on me;
my body is hot with fever.
30:31 My harp is used for mourning
and my flute for the sound of weeping.

My fear of God made me lead a righteous life. (31:1-34)
31:1 “I made a covenant with my eyes;
how then could I entertain thoughts against a virgin?
31:2 What then would be one’s lot from God above,
one’s heritage from the Almighty on high?
31:3 Is it not misfortune for the unjust,
and disaster for those who work iniquity?
31:4 Does he not see my ways
and count all my steps?
31:5 If I have walked in falsehood,
and if my foot has hastened to deceit –
31:6 let him weigh me with honest scales;
then God will discover my integrity.
31:7 If my footsteps have strayed from the way,
if my heart has gone after my eyes,
or if anything has defiled my hands,
31:8 then let me sow and let another eat,
and let my crops be uprooted.
31:9 If my heart has been enticed by a woman,
and I have lain in wait at my neighbor’s door,
31:10 then let my wife turn the millstone for another man,
and may other men have sexual relations with her.
31:11 For I would have committed a shameful act,
an iniquity to be judged.
31:12 For it is a fire that devours even to Destruction,
and it would uproot all my harvest.
31:13 “If I have disregarded the right of my male servants
or my female servants when they disputed with me,
31:14 then what will I do when God confronts me in judgment;
when he intervenes,
how will I respond to him?
31:15 Did not the one who made me in the womb make them?
Did not the same one form us in the womb?
31:16 If I have refused to give the poor what they desired,
or caused the eyes of the widow to fail,
31:17 If I ate my morsel of bread myself,
and did not share any of it with orphans –
31:18 but from my youth I raised the orphan like a father,
and from my mother’s womb
I guided the widow!
31:19 If I have seen anyone about to perish for lack of clothing,
or a poor man without a coat,
31:20 whose heart did not bless me
as he warmed himself with the fleece of my sheep,
31:21 if I have raised my hand to vote against the orphan,
when I saw my support in the court,
31:22 then let my arm fall from the shoulder,
let my arm be broken off at the socket.
31:23 For the calamity from God was a terror to me,
and by reason of his majesty I was powerless.
31:24 “If I have put my confidence in gold
or said to pure gold,
‘You are my security!’
31:25 if I have rejoiced because of the extent of my wealth,
or because of the great wealth my hand had gained,
31:26 if I looked at the sun when it was shining,
and the moon advancing as a precious thing,
31:27 so that my heart was secretly enticed,
and my hand threw them a kiss from my mouth,
31:28 then this also would be iniquity to be judged,
for I would have been false to God above.
31:29 If I have rejoiced over the misfortune of my enemy
or exulted because calamity found him –
31:30 I have not even permitted my mouth to sin
by asking for his life through a curse –
31:31 if the members of my household have never said,
‘If only there were someone
who has not been satisfied from Job’s meat!’ –
31:32 But no stranger had to spend the night outside,
for I opened my doors to the traveler –
31:33 if I have covered my transgressions as men do,
by hiding iniquity in my heart,
31:34 because I was terrified of the great multitude,
and the contempt of families terrified me,
so that I remained silent
and would not go outdoors – [4]

If I have done wrong then may God curse me! (31:35-40)
31:35 “If only I had someone to hear me!
Here is my signature –
let the Almighty answer me!
If only I had an indictment
that my accuser had written.
31:36 Surely I would wear it proudly on my shoulder,
I would bind it on me like a crown;
31:37 I would give him an accounting of my steps;
like a prince I would approach him.
31:38 “If my land cried out against me
and all its furrows wept together,
31:39 if I have eaten its produce without paying,
or caused the death of its owners,
31:40 then let thorns sprout up in place of wheat,
and in place of barley, weeds!”

The words of Job are ended.



[1] Isaac’s Terror or Dread; a name for God found at Genesis 31:42, 53
[2] Sudanese refugees fleeing Darfur (April 2004)
[3] Isaac’s Terror or Dread; a name for God found at Genesis 31:42, 53

[4] Picture of a small boy captured during the April-May 1943 Warsaw Revolt


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home